Monday, October 09, 2006

About my guitar performances on stage

Last couple of weeks was hectic. Suddenly we have to practice for 5 songs in 2 weeks time after my first guitar performance. So, I didn't find time to write about my first performance. It was a decent one, considering that I forgot notes while starting a stanza. But, I picked the next line correctly. It was unfortunate that Microphone didn't work properly.

We got only couple of weeks time to practice the songs for the second performance. Even though I am learning guitar for the past 1 and half year or so, the task is a very difficult one. Suddenly, I have to play 5 songs. The problem is, I am not that great at following the tempo of the songs. Need more experience in that.

I had to practice a lot and had some good rehearsal. Not enough for me to give the confidence. My fingers are almost gone, the day before the performance. I was little more tensed then the first performance. Actually, I was playing along with other two guitarists. Cool Guys! My tension was far minimum, we used to crack jokes till we enter the stage.

Anyway, my second performance was completed. One song (Churaliya, old hindhi song) was total flop. Rest of the songs are not bad, I forgot the notes in each and every song. But I managed decently. Overall, 'kanne kalaimanee' was the top. We got great response from the crowd, so I think we played well.

I worked hard, but the result was not that satisfactory for me. With Respect to Music, hard work is not directly proportional to what you do on stage. Isn’t it?

I was more relieved yesterday night, after the performance. Roamed around my place, hearing some good music (got a good Mp3 player), just to relax. Quite an experience doing rehearsals and playing on stage……

2 comments:

'Stung by the splendor of a sudden thought!' said...

Hey Prakash..congrats...two performances in a row!!...way to go!...all the best n wishing dat u get to give many more such performances.........

Btw, I do not agree with hard work not being directly propotional to performance....I believe dat as far as playing an instrument is concerned, practise(wudnt call it hard work- coz wen u luv doing something, it aint hard work!) definitely makes perfect...I admit dat nerves do play an important role...esp wen performing in front of a crowd!...which is wen the experience part of it comes into play...I believe dat experience is directly prop to ur ease in playing an instrument...I have spent quite a few years myself learning the piano, the guitar n the mouthorgan...esp the piano, wen I played the first time in Church, even though I had practised like crazy I was very nervous n even fumbled a bit...but over the years as u keep playing u loose all the initial tension n doubt abt ur ability to string a few notes together!!....today, even though I havent touched a piano for almost a year plus, am positive dat the moment I touch a piano I can play all my favs without a moment of hesitation...Playing an instrument can in someway be compared to riding a bicycle....till u learn to do it, ur gonna fumble n fall..but once u have learnt it, itz cake walk after dat...even if u have to learn a new tune it will take u just a few mins/hrs of practise...So relax n don't give up...u'd get there in time :-)!!

-Daffodil

Venky said...

Why should you be not satisfied with our performance Prakash. we did decent only. And the next performance will be better than this.
Daffodil is perfectly right when he says that practise makes everything perfect.. we've to admit that we were a bit short of the expected practise for such an event.
We'll blast our way in the next perf for sure.